Jan 222019
 

 

The Board meets on the third Monday of every month at 3:30 PM in the clubhouse, and all homeowners are welcome to attend. Below are some highlights from the December Board meeting:

Mark Your Calendars!

The annual homeowner meeting will be held Tuesday, February 26th at 7 PM (check in starts at 6:30). This meeting is normally held on the third Monday of February but because President’s Day falls on that day this year we will hold the meeting the following week to accommodate travel schedules.

Money

Treasurer, Tom Kelley, reports we spent about 20k in operating expenses, up from prior month. We ended the year with 241K of operational expenses versus a budget of 274k.  We spent 262K of our reserve fund against a budget of 276K.  We ended the year with 464k in the reserve fund.  

Most homeowners have paid dues and those who haven’t  will now be assessed a late fee.  

Larry Spencer (acting pool manager) noted that a heat exchanger in the South Pool failed and will be replaced at cost of $1194 for the part.

An update was provided on offloading more work to a management company due to lack of volunteers. The Request For Proposal (RFP)  has gone out to 6 companies.  The  committee has had 2 responses to the RFP and will meet with one of those companies this week.

Home Sales

2  homes have been sold in 2019 and 1 is in escrow.

Committee Updates

Architecture Committee

Bill Coan (Architecture Chair) noted that there was one architecture approval request for gutters and down spouts which was approved.

Recreation Committee

Larry Spencer (temporary acting Pool Manager) noted that the north spa heater timer is faulty and an external timer was added at no charge to us. This should alleviate the occasional issues where the heater didn’t kick on. A first aid kit was installed inside the emergency phone box at the north pool and one will be installed at the south pool soon.  Electrical equipment at north pool was painted. Larry is working on getting a quote to change the shower floor as the Deck-O-Drain still hasn’t solved our drainage problem.

Maintenance Committee

Steve Struck (Maintenance Chair) reviewed several maintenance items that have been completed.  South Pool gate lock has been fixed, our bulletin boards at mailboxes have had their insides fastened together, movie capability in clubhouse has been tested.  Steve also noted that Bill Kirchner is joining the Maintenance Committee.  Jerry Foval will be doing an annual inspection of sidewalks soon to determine if any sidewalks need to be repaired due to trip hazards.

Roads Committee

The Roads Committee is in process of working on RFP for seal coating our new roads.

Communications Committee

Kiki Cheney (Communications Chair) noted that a recent drive to increase homeowner’s subscribed to web updates yielded an increase from 46% subscribed to 63% subscribed with over 52 homeowners signing up for web updates.  As previously reported, there will no longer be a newsletter so notifications of new postings on the web will be the primary mechanism to keep homeowners informed.

Miscellaneous

Larry Spencer noted a recent Sunrise Association Council Meeting discussed a fire prevention program called Firewise.  The important point to communicate to all homeowners is that if there is a fire in the mountains, because embers can travel so far, pull in your outside furniture cushions as embers alighting on that could trigger a fire at your home.

A homeowner reported that a planter with cactus in it was stolen from the garage window ledge.  If you experience petty theft, please report to the sheriff.  Also, if you don’t want to lose items, keep them out of sight or attached to make it more difficult for thieves to grab and dash.

The annual Neighborhood Watch meeting is scheduled for March 9, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. in the clubhouse (stay tuned for more details).  This annual meeting is required to maintain our Neighborhood Watch status.

Finally Frankie Paulus has led the water aerobics class for several years.  She is turning the reins over to Sheila Sanford who will run the 2019 water aerobics session (April – October on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday at 8:00 a.m.).  Thanks Frankie for your volunteerism and welcome Sheila!

The next Board meeting will be on Monday, February 18.  The annual homeowner meeting will be Tuesday Feb 26.

 

 

Jan 202019
 

Article by Tom Kelley
✉ Email Phone:

At a recent board meeting a homeowner asked a very sensible question.  He wondered if dues could be reduced given the progress made resurfacing the roads. I tried to stumble through an explanation as to why the answer was probably “no” and I’m sure left the man more confused than ever.  I thought it might make sense to organize and write down my thoughts in the hopes that it might be clearer so here goes.

In 2018 we collected $440,000 in dues payments from 238 association homes which cost each homeowner $1,850. These payments are allocated each year to fund (1) routine and recurring costs of operations and (2) Contribute to a fund for expenses of a longer-term nature which do not occur each year e.g. the roads.  We refer to this as the “Reserve” fund, but it might more appropriately be called a savings account for the purpose of paying for road and other facilities that will need replacement.  In round numbers, last years dues were allocated to these two places as follows (if you are reading this in email, go to the website to see article with images):

The easy part of this to explain is the $250,000 operations cost.  These are costs we incur every year and they are reasonably predictable. These include among other things, landscape and pool maintenance and repairs, water, electricity, trash collections, social events and the inevitable accountants and lawyers. Detail of these costs can be seen in any of the monthly financial statements filed on the website.  They have been running at a consistent level for several years now and we believe that trend will continue IF inflation remains in check and we are able to attract more volunteers to continue to provide the free labor we have always enjoyed. More on that at the annual meeting.

The part that is hard to explain and gives rise to most homeowner questions is the Reserve contribution which relates to the homeowner’s question about the roads.  I find it’s best to think of this the way I think about Social Security.  We put money into the Social Security fund in the form of payroll taxes and we take money out in the form of monthly benefit payments.  The HOA puts money into a cash reserve by levying dues on homeowners ($190,000 in 2018) and takes it out to pay for road replacement and other capital projects ($159,000 in 2018).  The key thing to remember is that dues are driven by the contribution to the fund not by the payments out of the fund.We always want to make sure that we have enough in the fund to pay for projects as they become necessary because unlike Social Security, we cannot print money if we run short.  Instead, we would have to levy a special dues assessment which we want to avoid as tar and feathers is not my best look.

 The obvious question therefore is how to determine what the contribution should be. In order to make this determination the board hired a firm specializing in such things to help us.  They provided us with the following:

  1. A list of 62 capital items that will need to be replaced together with an estimate of when they will need to be replaced and the cost of replacement by year (over the next 30 years). Costs in those years vary from a low of $26,000 to a high of $440,000. You can see that study here.
  2. An estimate of the total cost in todays dollars to replace all 62 items today. This amounted to $1,700,000. Road resurfacing constitutes approximately 60% of this amount.  Various pool/recreation center items account for around 30%.
  3. A recommendation as to a reserve contribution for each year. The 2018 contribution ($190,000) was based upon this recommendation.

At the end of 2018 there is approximately $458,000 of cash the reserve fund invested in certificates of deposit.  The activity on the fund for the year was as follows (if you are reading this in email, go to the website to see article with images):

After all this, the obvious question on everyone’s mind is what will happen to dues in the future?   As you know, the board has concluded that dues will remain the same in 2019 at $1,850 per household.  After that, it’s impossible to predict with accuracy what will happen, but it will clearly depend on several things:

  1. The rate of inflation and other potential price increases particularly for water
  2. Our seeming inability to attract volunteers which may necessitate outsourcing more management functions.
  3. Our actual experience as we complete capital replacement projects. As Steve Struck pointed out in a recent web article, road resurfacing is about 50% complete for this cycle.  Once we have actual cost and useful life data for all the roads (which again is 60% of the total of all our capital project cost estimates) we will have a better basis to assess our annual reserve contributions.

I hope this has been both clear and helpful.  If not please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Calling all art enthusiasts!

January 13, 2019  News
Jan 132019
 

Learn (more) about painting!

Saturday, January 26th
1 PM – 3 PM
in the clubhouse

Bring your friends!

Fred Wackerle is an accomplished artist (and SMVE resident) who is represented by Jane Hamilton Fine Arts. He will follow up on last April’s workshop with a demonstration and discussion that will cover:

  • how to look at a painting
  • how to copy from photographs or sketches
  • how to begin your painting
  • how to use values – the darkest dark and lightest light
  • how to mix and add colors
  • how to use the color wheel
  • the different materials you can use

After the workshop, everyone will be invited to discuss possible future events. If there is interest, Fred would be happy to provide a series of regularly scheduled artist workshops.

Questions?

Contact Jane Spalding or Fred Wackerle.

 

Their contact information is in the SMVE Directory or on the flyer posted at the mailboxes.

 

Jan 112019
 

Several homeowners have recently been frustrated when trying to replace their trashcans.  The key is knowing the proper account number when you call Waste Management. If you give them your address, they will tell you you aren’t a customer.  Instead they need the HOA name and account number.  This is documented in our FAQs on the web but is also listed below to help you in pursuit of a fully functional trash can:

Waste Management Phone Numbers: 744-2600 or (800) 482-6406
Refer to Customer Account: Sunrise Mountain View Estates  Account ID: 00004-47289-25001

Available Containers: Three sizes of Waste and Recycle containers are available — 32 gal, 64 gal, and 96 gal

Good luck!

Jan 052019
 

Article by Steve Struck.
✉ Email Phone:

The major financial issue the HOA has faced the last few years has been building the reserve fund to an appropriate level to support replacement and/or repair of the HOAs aging assets. It should come as no surprise that repaving the association’s 3.2 miles of roads is one of the most expensive items on our reserve study spending plan.  It has been approximately two years since the road committee began planning and actual construction, so as 2018 ends, it’s a good time to summarize where we are and what work remains to be done.

Work done to date:

2016        All roads crack sealed and Masterseal applied.

2017        Paseo Otono, Strada de Acero, the north end of Via Sempreverde and the north pool parking lot pulverized, compacted and paved with 2” of new asphalt.

2018        Mid Velazquez (from Otono to Gelsomino) similarly pulverized, compacted and paved with 2” of new asphalt.

 

This is a good time to recall that Velzaquez (north of Otono) was repaved in 2011, and Via Frasino and Largo Salici were repaved in 2005.

To summarize, approximately 50% of our roads have been repaved since 2005 with the work done in 2017 and 2018 representing 32% of our roads.

Work to be done:

The roads yet to be repaved are all over 30 years old and we’ve been very fortunate to have them last this long.  The road committee surveyed the remaining roads in December and established a tentative schedule for additional road work:

2019        Apply Masterseal to the roads repaved in 2017 and 2018 (spring).

2020        Reconstruct and repave Gelsomino in its entirety and the connector to Territory.

2022        Reconstruct and repave south Via Sempreverde (from just south of Strada de Acero to Territory).

2023        Reconstruct and repave south Velazquez (from Gelsomino to Territory).

The crack sealing and Master sealing procedures extend the life of our roads and will be done as is prudent going forward.  Via Frasino, Via Cedri and Largo Salici, having been paved relatively recently, are not on the five year plan.

It should be emphasized that these plans are tentative and subject to change if any of these roads either last longer or degrade more quickly than expected.  The repaving timing for the work done the past two years was different from what was initially planned. The actual condition of these roads will determine the actual replacement timing.

I would like to thank Guy Scharf, Dale Larson, Bob Mix and Rick Levy, all members of the road committee, and all contributors to the work that has been done the past two years.

 

 

 

Volunteers needed!

December 21, 2018  News
Dec 212018
 

We need volunteers! If any of the following items are of interest to you, please contact the person identified below. It takes a village to keep this HOA going!

 

  • A Volunteer is needed to take thumb drive to printer to print 15 copies of rules and regulations and mail them to 15 homeowners without email.Contact Kathy Mitton ✉ Kathy Mitton, President, SMVE HOA Phone:
  • Volunteer(s) are needed to drive the north pool restroom update.  This would include getting several bids for work (excluding replacement materials), picking materials, and submitting all to board for approval. Contact Kathy Mitton ✉ Kathy Mitton, President, SMVE HOA Phone:
  • Maintenance Committee: the board is looking to expand the maintenance committee and would like additional people to keep an eye on a few specific items and call an appropriate vendor when a repair is needed. Contact Steve Struck ✉ Steve Struck, Maintenance Chair Phone:
  • Random Task Handlers: The board needs volunteers to handle small random tasks. Examples of past things would be tracking down firm responsible for the road work sign that was left on Velazquez or arranging for something that was dumped on a common area to be removed. If you would be willing to be part of a round robin group of folks to handle these odd one-off tasks, we’d love to hear from you. If you are someone who has reported one of these random items, consider reporting AND volunteering to resolve at the same time! You’d set a great example for others! ✉ Kathy Mitton, President, SMVE HOA Phone: .
  • Board Members: The board needs one or two additional homeowners to become future board members. A board member attends monthly meetings September – May and works as a team to make decisions for the HOA. ✉ Kathy Mitton, President, SMVE HOA Phone: .

 

Dec 212018
 

 

The Board meets on the third Monday of every month at 3:30 PM in the clubhouse, and all homeowners are welcome to attend. Below are some highlights from the December Board meeting:

Mark Your Calendars!

The annual homeowner meeting will be held Tuesday, February 26th at 7 PM (check in starts at 6:30). This meeting is normally held on the third Monday of February but because President’s Day falls on that day this year we will hold the meeting the following week to accommodate travel schedules.

Money

Treasurer, Tom Kelley, reports we spent about 27k in operating expenses, up from prior month. This is largely due to pool repair work and higher legal fees for the month as a result of the Rules and Regulations update.  The 2019 reserve  budget was approved — it will be approximately 50k.  The finance committee met to discuss how to handle capital expenses that were under 2500 and therefor not part of reserve OR a one time capital expense greater than 2500 which also wouldn’t be part of the reserve.  The committee determined we should add another 10k to handle unexpected capital expenses that are not budgeted for in the reserve and under 2500 and the board approved this. 

Larry Spencer (acting pool manager) noted that there will be a one time bump in both water due to the draining and refilling of both pools and pool maintenance as our former pool company bills post maintenance and our new company bills in advance.

An update was provided on offloading more work to a management company due to lack of volunteers. The committee met, agreed which tasks would be identified as priority one.  A statement of work is being crafted and bids will be solicited early 2019.  As noted before this will not alleviate the need for volunteers but it will change the types of activities volunteers engage in.

Notices for the first half of 2019 dues were mailed and payments are due January 1, 2019.

Home Sales

3 homes are in escrow and 16 homes have been sold this year.

Committee Updates

Architecture Committee

Bill Coan (Architecture Chair) noted that there have been several architecture approval requests including ones for windows, re-painting driveway, lights, and a satellite dish.  The architecture committee has also dealt with a commercial vehicle being parked in the HOA.  Bill mentioned that the approved color samples available to homeowners have been borrowed. Finally Bill noted how much the architecture committee has benefitted from the accumulated and documented history.  The standards and guidelines has been very useful to the group!

Recreation Committee

Larry Spencer (temporary acting Pool Manager) noted that the north pool work is complete.  There are a few spots on the deck that will need to be addressed but we will wait until spring to tackle that as the cold weather we had when the deck was done might have contributed to the 2 problem areas.  The south pool deck work is being postponed till later in the year but the pool will be drained and refilled shortly.  Gate locks will be changed preventing homeowner entry during this maintenance work.  The equipment at south pool has already been replaced (the new filter and the variable pump).

Maintenance Committee

Steve Struck (Maintenance Chair) reviewed several maintenance items that have been completed.  Shower faucet at north pool was repaired, new bulletin boards are at tennis courts, the sound system and projector are in and have been tested, and the south pool ramada has been painted.  Also a light in the clubhouse was fixed and the furnace filter was replaced.  The roof was inspected and it was confirmed that we should go ahead and redo the roof of the clubhouse when it comes due in 2020 per reserve study.   The board agreed to move up the north pool restroom and shower update (originally slated for 2020) since the road work slated for 2019 has been postponed until 2020.

Communications Committee

Kiki Cheney (Communications Chair) noted that starting in 2019 we will no longer assemble (electronically) and distribute a newsletter.  The newsletter is a bundle of articles already published on the web from the prior newsletter time frame.  As such, while it is useful to have the articles compiled and stored in newsletter format for those  not subscribed to web updates and  for the 15 homeowners without email, the information IS available to those who either check the web or subscribe to the web updates.  Because of the lack of a volunteer (s) to assume this task, this is an activity that is going to be dropped.  Kiki will draft an alert to notify homeowners of the need to subscribe to the newsletter and will ensure this is also covered in the annual homeowner meeting packet.

Miscellaneous

The updated Rules and Regulations document is on the web.  We will send an email blast(alert)  to ensure all homeowners are aware and we will mail hardcopy to those 15 homeowners without email.  Homeowners are responsible for being aware of the CC&Rs, along with the Rules and Regs of the community and are subject to fines when violations occur.

The next Board meeting will be on Monday, January 21.

 

Mark your calendars!

December 19, 2018  Communication, News
Dec 192018
 

SMVE Neighborhood Brunch

Owners and renters… all are welcome!

When:  Saturday, January 12, 2019
Time:  9 AM – 11:30 AM
Where:  SMVE Clubhouse

What better way to greet the new year than with a good cup of coffee and conversation with friends and neighbors?

The Social Committee will provide coffee, tea, water, paper products, sausage patties, and links.

You provide a brunch appetizer or side dish to share and any other beverage you might prefer.

Questions? Contact Susie Struck.

 

 

 

 

Her contact information is in the directory as well as on the flyer posted at every mailbox. (For security reasons, phone numbers and email addresses aren’t transmitted in these missives.)